The proposed line received Royal Assent on 1 August 1861, authorising a single track 24.5-mile (39.4 km) railway line from a point near Bransford Road on the West Midland Railway, through Bromyard to the Shrewsbury and Hereford Railway at Leominster. Authority was also given for £200,000 capital to be raised by the selling of £10 shares, with a quarter to be purchased by the West Midland Railway, plus an additional £65,000 in loans if necessary.
Work started in March 1866, the contract awarded to Henry Jackson, but progress was slow due to funding issues and the fact that the initial contractor went into Financial Administration.
The line from Worcester came off a spur on the main line route to Malvern, arching westward through to Bransford, opening as far as Yearsett (Linley Green) in 1874.
This section took the railway under the A4103 Worcester to Hereford Road, through to Leigh Court via Bransford and then on to Knightwick, Suckley and terminating at Yearsett. It was across this route that some engineering problems were solved with the construction of two viaducts at Hayley Dingle (70 feet high with 6×40 feet spans) and Broad Dingle (65 feet high with 5×40 feet spans) as it weaves its way parallel to the River Teme affording some spectacular views of the river meadows below and to the north. It was on this phase of the construction that they built intermediary stations at Leigh Court, Knightwick and finally stopping at Yearsett, an important large farm just short of Linley Green.
It was not until 1877 that the line was extended to Bromyard and Yearsett station closed in preference to a new Station at Suckley in1878. The line curved north through a succession of bridges, embankments, and cuttings, crossing the Bromyard to Malvern road near Stanford Bishop, threading its way through rolling farms towards the back of the old Hospital and on to Bromyard Station which was located within the current Industrial Estate.
Work started on the Leominster to Bromyard branch, completing in 1897, despite having reached Steen’s Bridge in 1884. The route was far more forgiving than the Bromyard to Worcester route with just as many bridges and road crossings but fortunately no viaducts.
On the route intermediary stations were also built at Fencote & Rowden Mill
Other significant dates:
- Leominster to Bromyard line closed September 1952
- Special Train 26th April 1958, Worcester to Leominster via Bromyard and return with 6 coaches and 300 passenger
- Bromyard to Worcester line officially closed 5th September 1964
- However, on the 6th September 1964 Bill Morris arranged a trip – Bromyard to Blackpool taking 10 coaches and 680 passengers’ cost – £1-1s 0d